Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ethiopian Food Experimentation!

For the past few weeks I have been suffering a killer craving for Ethiopian/African food. While I would normally just head down to one of the many restaurants in the neighbouring suburb of Footscray, T & I are living on student budgets at the moment and I thought it would be a good challenge to whip up some food at home. I will admit that I did cheat a bit and get my Injera (sour pancake-like bread that you use to scoop the food up with) from Footscray as I didn't want to spend the time figuring out how to make it, but we made everything else ourselves!!

To get started we prepared the ubiquitous Ethiopian spice mix Berbere. I called out ingredients and amounts as T assembled the mix in a frying pan and lightly toasted it upon completion. This amazingly delicious spice mix is still haunting our kitchen and is still making the house smell tantalizingly good 24 hours later. 

Here is the recipe I used for the Berbere:

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon red chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon hot cayenne powder
1 tablespoon salt

Combine together, and toast in fry pan until fragrant!

Using that spice mix you can now make the following recipes- Yellow Split Pea Stew and Misir Wot. For the greens, T just picked some Silverbeet from our back garden and sauteed it with garlic, turmeric, and berbere spice mix (to taste). I know it's not much to look at, but boy was it tasty!!

When I say these were delicious, it is an understatement. I'm still flabbergasted that we made something that was restaurant quality in taste AND significantly less oily than our previous restaurant meals. These recipes come highly recommended!! If you try them please let me know how they come out. Happy cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment