Friday, June 10, 2011

Rose Petal Jam (or Sauce, as it turns out)

Being that I have a stunning and fragrant rose bush in my back yard, I thought it would be clever to put it to good use and try to make some Rose Petal Jam. I found a recipe that detailed step-by-step instructions, and away I went. First I picked the petals, then boiled them down into a syrup, added the magical colour-reviving lemon juice and sugar, and boiled again. Unfortunately I must not have boiled enough (or over-boiled, I can't tell!) because it never set into a jam but is instead a delicous rose syrup now. Next time I will use a sugar thermometer and find a recipe that includes a gelling agent, and see if those factors help me out a bit. Overall it was a very interesting experience, being my first foray into jam making, and gave me a taste of delicious floral summer in the middle of winter!




No comments:

Post a Comment